What is our mission?
NC Interfaith Power and Light’s Youth Leaders Initiative (NCIPL YLI) is a youth network focused on educating, inspiring, and mobilizing to lead faith & spiritual communities to act on climate. Our mission is to empower youth climate leaders of faith & spirituality to head the climate justice movement by engaging in energy efficiency, sustainable living, creation care practices, and advocacy as a means of creatively reducing our carbon footprints. We believe in creating a space for youth climate leaders of faith to build community, brainstorm, encourage and support one another with a shared mission of caring for all of Creation.
What are our strategies in achieving this mission?
- Educate, inspire, and mobilize youth leaders to act on climate in their congregations and communities
- Build a cohesive network of youth climate leaders of faith in North Carolina
- Provide a safe and brave space for youth leaders to share and problem solve together
- Create effective communication between youth and congregational & environmental leaders in our state
- Provide resources to faith communities via youth leaders that help them engage in the climate movement and take bold actions toward a decarbonized future
- Aid youth leaders in developing effective storytelling practices as a means to communicate their connection to climate change/action while inspiring others to do the same
What are the benefits of joining the Youth Leaders Initiative?
- Youth leaders will find and join a network of other youth climate leaders of faith who have a similar passion, sense of urgency, and hope for a sustainable future for all.
- Youth leaders will gain access to faith-based environmental tools and resources related to energy efficiency, sustainable living, and creation care.
- Youth Leaders will receive communications about local events, news articles, campaigns, and speaking opportunities.
- Youth Leader can receive volunteer hours, develop leadership skills, and pursue career choices.
- Youth Leaders will be able to use NCIPL’s energy efficiency, renewable energy, and sustainable living resources to reduce their carbon footprint, cut down on energy bills, and lessen fossil fuel consumption
- Youth Leaders will be offered the opportunity to voice their concerns with lawmakers through our NCIPL Advocacy program.
What are the expectations of our youth leaders?
- Youth leaders are expected to have a willingness to learn, communicate, and act on climate in their faith communities.
- They are expected to lead their faith communities in the work of climate justice.
- Youth Leaders are expected to attend a monthly network call.
- They are expected to attend at least one of the two in-person retreats a year.
- If you’re interested in joining the NCIPL Youth Leaders Initiative, please reach out! Email Susannah Tuttle at firstname.lastname@example.org.