The Shepherd’s Center of Kernersville is an interfaith ministry of volunteers which champions and sustains adults who are aging or with disabilities.
Programs & Services:
- Transportation: Provide rides to and from medical appointments.
- Friendly Caller: Weekday calls to homebound recipients for a “friendly hello”.
- Visitation: Provide short visits for socialization and/or longer visits for relieving family caregivers.
- Personal Shopper: Pickup, fulfill, & deliver groceries, food pantry requests, and prescriptions.
- Project Joy: Procure, arrange, and deliver donated flowers to those suffering illness or loss, celebrating milestones, or just needing a “lift”.
- Handy Person: Provide assistance with minor home repairs inside or outside the home.
- Pastoral Counseling: Counseling sessions offered by appointment only with a certified volunteer counselor.
- Financial Care Counseling: In partnership with other organizations, provide financial & insurance support via phone and in-person appointments with a Financial and Certified SHIIP Counselor.
- Legal Aide Consulting: In partnership with Legal Aid of NC, provide legal support with civil matters involving basic human needs such as safety, shelter, income, and more via phone and in-person appointments.
- Elder Law Legal Aide: Providing legal support via phone and in-person appointments with an Attorney.
- Senior Enrichment Programs: A full-time “Center of Excellence” offering a variety of life enriching activities and classes in: arts, education and enrichment, fun and games, and health and wellness.
- Bill Radisch Computer Center for Seniors: Offer one on one computer and other electronic device operational education and assistance.
- Caregiver Support Group: Monthly meetings held for caregivers needing support.
- Equipment Loan Program: Loan out durable medical equipment such as canes, walkers, and wheelchairs for short-term or long-term needs on a renewable basis.
- Income Tax Preparation: Free annual income tax return preparation appointments February through mid-April in partnership with AARP Foundation Tax-Aide Program.
- Information & Referrals: Provide a variety of resources for aging and/or disabled adults.
- Advocacy: Provide meetings and events to raise awareness of elder abuse, neglect, and exploitation in conjunction with local law enforcement.