The mission of Caldwell Senior Center is to provide services and activities which enhance the lives of older adults, encouraging their involvement in the community, and providing advocacy.
The center hosts a variety of educational, wellness, fitness and social events and activities and offers a number of helpful programs and services.
- S.H.I.I.P. (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program)
- Staff and volunteers are trained by the S.H.I.I.P. division of the North Carolina Department of Insurance to answer questions about Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans, and Medicare Prescription Drug coverage. Also, Medicare Supplement policies, and Long Term Care Insurance. Call for information or an appointment with a counselor.
- Blood Pressure Checks
- A volunteer will be at the senior center on the 3rd Friday of each month from 9:15-10:00 to check blood pressures.
- Legal Assistance
- Staff from Legal Aid of N. C. Morganton Office comes one or two times a year (as long as annual funding lasts) to make simple wills for persons over age 60 and their spouses. An appointment is necessary. Call to sign up on the waiting list. Legal services for civil matters are provided by the Morganton office for seniors who qualify financially.
- Notary Service
- They notarize documents such as Living Wills. Please call for an appointment.
- Computers are available for your use Monday-Friday, 9:00-5:00. One-on-one tutoring is arranged by appointment.
- Senior Tar Heel Cards
- For people over 60, these cards may be picked up at the senior center to identify you as a senior citizen. Many businesses give discounts to seniors. Good for free entry to county school sporting events.
- Senior Meal Sites
- There are four congregate meal sites in the County: Koinonia and Martin Luther King Recreation Center in Lenoir, Kings Creek Baptist Church, and Shuford Recreation Center in Granite Falls.
- Nutrition Services Director for Blue Ridge Community Action can be reached at 828-438-6255 Ext. 0
- Transportation for Caldwell County residents is provided by Greenway Transit. Call 828-464-9444 to schedule a ride. After the message, a customer service agent will come on the line.
- Information and Assistance for Older Adults
- Call 828-757-8635 for information about services or resources in Caldwell County.
- Income Tax Preparation
- Free tax help is available by appointment on Tuesdays from the first week in February through the week before April 15. Call 828-758-2883 for an appointment.