- This event has passed.
Second Annual Advocacy Training: Public Schools Our Students Deserve
February 11, 2017 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmFree
The NC Public Education Working Group is a grassroots collaboration of citizens (including teachers) that support Pre-K-12 public education in NC. We work to educate, inform, engage and train citizens to support and advocate for a strong public education system.
There are many reasons to be concerned about our public schools after this election cycle has ended and we look to the future. State and federal leaders continue to defund public education, ignore the growth in school segregation and child poverty and the related inequality of opportunity. Educators, parents and students worry that the hostile national discourse and policies will negatively affect our schools and our students.
While the 2016 election results will change many things, we know that to have the Schools our Students Deserve, we must be organized in our approach and we must be more effective in our advocacy work.
Please join us in Raleigh, NC for the 2nd Annual Schools Our Students Deserve conference that will specifically focus on how public schools must be safe places for all children. Participants will have the opportunity to:
- Learn more about the upcoming campaign to advocate for Schools Our Students Deserve
- Gain the skills necessary to bring the campaign back to your home county and begin the work
- Build relationships and get plugged into a coordinated effort of public education advocates throughout the state
This advocacy training workshop called: “Public Schools Our Children Deserve: Second Annual Gathering” on February 11, 2017 at the offices of the North Carolina Association of Educators. The advocacy training will start promptly at 1 PM and ends at 4 PM. The Council is a co-sponsor of this event.
REGISTRATION is required and seating is limited. Registering allows us to plan space, print our materials and order lunches. Please email us any diet restrictions that you have ASAP – also let us know if you do not want a lunch to help us be cost-effective with our resources. If you have childcare need, please indicate.
Please register now. We will be developing the full agenda and sharing at the beginning of January. Our goal is to have 1-2 persons from each county in NC, so we may have to limit large numbers from any one county.
If you register and then cannot attend, please let us know so that someone can take your place (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Many of you attended last year and have continued to work with us after the training! We look forward to meeting with you again and renewing our work for schools our students deserve!
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 919-576-0655.
Public Schools Our Children Deserve are:
- Fully funded
- Diverse, integrated by income and race
- Places that connect young people to their community
- Places with high tech tools reflect the world students will work in
- Inviting spaces, welcoming to all in ways that encourage collaboration
- Staffed by loving adults in the building who have high expectations for all, including students, colleagues, teachers, and leadership
- Child centered with curriculum that focuses on four Cs—creativity, communication, critical thinking and collaboration
- Hubs for the community with activities beyond the regular school day, for adults and children to learn skills
- Interdisciplinary in their teaching
- Engaged with Parents in Partnership
- Supportive of teachers, allowing a return to the teachable moment, granting flexibility for instruction, and having trust in teachers
- Safe, affirming learning environments
- Engaged in the civic life of the community and our democracy