- This event has passed.
Critical Issues Seminar — Race, Power, and Privilege
April 23, 2016 @ 9:00 am - 3:00 pm$15 – $25
Join us for a daylong discussion of race as it impacts some of the most pressing issues facing North Carolina and the nation.
We will begin the day with worship and a structured conversation between Eboni Marshall Turman, Assistant Research Professor of Theological Ethics and Black Church Studies and Director of the Office of Black Church Studies Duke Divinity School, and Timothy Tyson, Visiting Professor of American Christianity and Southern Culture at Duke University.
Two sessions of workshops will follow on topics including:
- Pressures on voting rights led by Anita Earls of the Southern Coalition for Social Justice.
- Racial patterns in inadequate health care led by Nicole Dozier and Adam Linker of the NC Justice Center.
- Environmental justice led by Naeema Muhammad and Ayo Wilson of the NC Environmental Justice Network.
- Immigration as a racial issue led by Ron Garcia-Fogarty of Witness for Peace Southeast.
- Racial patterns in poverty and affluence led by Gene Nichol of the NC Poverty Research Fund.
Check-in will begin at 8:15 a.m., worship is at 9 a.m., and the day will conclude at 3 p.m. The cost is $25; $15 for students, and some scholarship funding is available. Lunch is included.
Click here for additional details, including registration information.