What is the NC 100-mile challenge?
It’s an initiative launched by North Carolina State Parks to encourage everyone to get outside and explore our trails and waterways. North Carolinians can walk, hike, run, bike, paddle, roll, ride or skate anywhere in the North Carolina outdoors to complete their 100 miles. To find out more visit their FAQs page.
What does this have to do with Partners in Health and Wholeness (PHW)?
Physical activity is one of the cornerstones of the PHW program. We thought it would be a great idea to show support for a North Carolina resource, highlight what you can do as a congregation and provide an opportunity for churches to be eligible for a $1,000 grant to support their health and wellness ministries.
How does my church sign-up?
1. Decide how you want to keep track of your miles. The NC State Parks has a great site that you can use and they award badges and prizes. PHW is not able to track your miles through their site. We have a log journal that you can use and you can request that log journal by contacting us.
2. Let us know that your congregation is participating by sending an email to Nicole Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 828 767 0181. A completion eligibility form will be available at the end of the year to confirm completion of the challenge and to process grants.
The goal is for individuals to complete 100 miles outdoors in the geographical boundaries of North Carolina in 1 year (2019). To be eligible for the PHW grant, each congregation will need 10 people to complete the challenge, together or individually, and join the PHW collaborative, prior to applying for the NC 100 Mile Grant. If your congregation is not a part of the PHW Collaborative, we encourage you to start your application as soon as possible.
- The benefits to your overall health are immeasurable.
- Badges and prizes from the North Carolina State Parks.
- Each church who completes our PHW challenge receives $1,000 for their health and wellness ministries.
For more information or help with registration, contact Nicole Johnson at 828-767-0181 or email@example.com.