“[God] has given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.” (Genesis 1:29, NRSV)
Thank you, Lord, for this reminder during this upcoming holiday season. As you embark on this season, it can be daunting to always think of what to do to prevent unhealthy habits from creeping in and staying. It is worth the time and patience it takes to plan ahead. Both planning and working within a supportive and encouraging community will provide you with at least 80% of your success, in my opinion. I call this the pre-holiday survival plan.
Here are some tips on food combination ideas:
- Consume fish or chicken, and include two colorful vegetables, such as collards and yams
- Try eating hard-to-give-up entrees with a vegetable, such as a hamburger with a baked potato
- Take delight in eating pinto beans or black-eyed peas with cabbage and another vegetable
Here are some on-the-go items:
- Order from an ethnic restaurant and add more veggies to your entrée
- Pack nuts, seeds, and dried fruit
- Bring a boiled egg or some baked chicken
And for fast food options, one blogger suggests:
- Wendy’s small chili and baked potato (hold the sour cream)
- The “kids’ meal” at any fast-food/convenience restaurant (not perfect, but at least you’re getting smaller portions!)
Connect with PHW’s Facebook, Blog, or Pinterest to get other ideas.