We can all relate to the desire to drink more water. However, the reality is that it just doesn’t happen for most of us. We forget it. Or some of us find the taste of water to be boring or off-putting.
I personally love water. I am grateful that it helps to clear my skin and helps me to feel good. However, I do struggle to drink enough of it. I hope some of the ideas below will help you.
- For a party, jazz up the appearance of water by adding colorful fruit, herbs, or veggies such as cucumber, strawberries, lemons, limes, blueberries, or others that you like. Serve the water from a glass dispenser so your additions show through. You can even try and match the fruit colors to the party theme. It looks great and adds flavor and nutrition.
- Experiment with the taste of fresh additions to your water. For instance, adding mint leaves to a pitcher of water and letting it sit overnight in the fridge will produce a great flavor.
- Make frozen fruit in water in the shape of ice cubes. It is fun and delicious. You can also freeze water into fun shapes and use those as your ice cubes.
- Place eight interesting containers (washed glass jars, for instance) of water on your desk or where you work. Make sure you can see them and make it your business to make sure that at the end of the day all have been consumed. After a while it becomes a habit and your body, skin and kidneys will thank you for it!
- Try using silly-shaped or brightly colored straws.
- Add a splash of any 100% juice.
- Use a fun water bottle and carry it wherever you go.
- Buy food grade essential oils and infuse the water by adding two or three drops per glass and a tad of Stevia frozen as sweetened ice water.
- Type “drink more water” into Google for more great ideas
Thanks to many people from my region for helping me compile this list. You can learn more about increasing water consumption at our Faith and Health Summit on October 10, 2014 at Ardmore Baptist Church in Winston-Salem.